I’ve previously discussed how our country is actually based on the idea that, in the eyes of Gods, all of us are created equal and the political fact that this concept has been construed to mean we should enjoy things equally.
The utopian idea that everyone should have the same things sounds great… which makes it easy for “leaders” to gain the following of those who do not think through the reality of such an absurd proposal. Dictators have gained power advocating such ideas, entire countries have lived in fear and virtual slavery under the false promise of a perverted equality.
Why will any system that promises equal outcome NOT work?
- SPORTS - professional football is wildly popular in the U.S. and we greatly enjoy the regular season as one team “battles” another and the level of excitement ratchets up during the playoffs as teams are eliminated until we get to the Superbowl and a single team emerges triumphant.
If we’re all equal, then why keep score in these games? As points are scored, they should be divided equally… every game ends in a tie. What would happen to game attendance and TV ratings?
- SCHOOL - after taking tests, the grades would be averaged for the class and every student would receive the same grade. No “best and brightest”, no child left behind, all students are the same. Imagine the impact on the psyche of students after years of such handling as they “progressed” through school.
- WORK - most employees just do their jobs but a few put in extra time, extra effort to make the organization better. During the annual performance review, everybody receives the same standard raise in pay and promotions are based on something arbitrary, such as seniority; no exceptions. How many will be dedicated enough to help improve the organization if they receive no benefit at all?
- CHARITY - a few generous individuals donate their time to help others but, at the annual banquet, those who didn’t show up are given the exact same praise as those who did all the work. Are those who are contributing to the greater good likely to continue?
- TAXES - a few people work very hard and make a lot of money, a lot of work hard and make a moderate amount of money, a few people don’t work and make no money… but after taxes are applied and government benefits are redistributed, everyone ends up with the exact same amount of money. What is the incentive for the highest earners to continue working very hard? What is the motivation for the slackers to work at all?
No amount of government intervention will ever change human nature. While our current approach may not be perfect, it is so much better than the alternative that it is ludicrous to “reform” broad swaths of our economy to “fix” problems that not only cannot be resolved completely but will lead to a vast array of even worse unintended consequences.